Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Becoming Martha"

OK...not really, but this week I was quite domestic. I use to do a lot more of this stuff when my kids were little, but not too much any more. Part of the reason could be that "my boys" make fun of me for all this stuff! (In particular...Sean, who is looking over my shoulder right now saying "Oh man mom, I can't believe you write about that stuff!") Sad but true!
Thursday, I had a baby shower for one of the girls in our ward and I decided to try and make one of those cute "diaper cakes!" I loaded it up with diapers, onesies, bibs, binki's, spoons, booties and hats. It was fun...mainly because it was all pink! (A color I never got to use!)

And you can't be Martha without a garden! I've been working in mine a lot lately, but I had some extra help this week! Dalton LOVED weeding the garden. He kept saying, "Find another one Nance...GOT IT!"


Finally, it was Dalton's birthday, and Kristin put on the "party supreme!" She invited 10 three year olds to Dalton's "KILLER WHALE" birthday. She had "slip and slides", water ballon fights, (DJ was in charge of this!) wading pools, and blow up killer whales and sharks! She fed them all lunch and made each one of them the cutest "tackle boxes" out of egg cartons filled with "fish" candies and treats. I don't know how she managed it all, especially with the twins! (I think she'll downsize next year!) With all she had to do, I volunteered to make his birthday cake. I used to love to do this when my kid were young! So, here's the finished product! (It's suppose to be a killer whale, but it sort of came out like a cross between a whale, a shark and a dolphin! Luckily, 3 year old don't really care!)

10 comments:

Linda Mott said...

Nancy, you really are "Martha"! Of course I never expected anything less! I love reading your blog and all the good stuff you do. You are awesome. I don't have the artsy talents like that.

The last Unicorn said...

I am so impressed with your domestic skills! I knew you could cook... but put together diaper cakes as well??? You are amazing!! I heard about the birthday party. Kristin really out did herself! I am glad to hear she survived and that she had some help along the way. Love you!

Dana and Chase said...

aunt nancy! you are just a domestic goddess! i love it! i need to come to your house once a week and just have a craft night. i seriously am no good at all at being crafty. u can teach me some things :) love u!

Me said...

Nancy-
You have always been 'Martha' in my eyes. I loved the diaper cake. I have a couple of friends who have gotten these and they never used them because they were too darn cute.

I also remember all the cakes you used to make. I remember the cars and sports and stuff, but I mostly remember Harrison Ford. I think this is where my fasination with cake decorating really came from. I really loved the killer whale (yes it did look like it too).

BreAnna said...

Becoming Martha, you have always been Martha! That diaper cake is so cute! And your real cake turned out amazing too, was it two tiered? Was the blue water a cake layer to? I can't wait to be back in Utah and enjoy your awesome salsa, we really miss that!

kori said...

Very impressive! You're cake looks amazing.

chelsea said...

Those really are so amazing, but it is no surprise! I love that Dalton was helping you in the Garden, he is so dang cute! Hopefully your boys will have some granddaughters for you so then you can use pink more!! :)

Anonymous said...

Nancy- You have done it again! That Killer Whale cake was all Dalton talked about when I called to wish him a "Happy Birthday." Now that I see it I know why. Thanks for helping Kristin out, I love you.
-Susan

mangrumminute said...

Those cakes take the cake!

Natalie said...

I LOVE the cake! You're always so great at what you do. Glad you could finally enjoy a little pink and LOVED reading about it (regardless of what Sean says lol)