Friday, March 6, 2009

Here's What's Cooking?

Lori and Dana (and their handsome husbands) came to dinner a couple weeks ago and it was so much fun to have them all here. The girls emailed me later for some of the dinner recipes, which I glady sent.

So the thought occured to me...The name of my blog is "What's Cooking", maybe I should occasionaly post some of my familiy's favorite recipes.
If you know me, you know I love to cook, BUT I am NOT a fancy cook. That probably comes from living in an all male household who tend to like the more basic kinds of foods. Here is one of my family favorites...Tortilla Pie. There are many different versions of this, but this is the one my family likes. It is easlily adaptable to your taste.

This is easy to make and you can always make two and freeze one for another night!
Spray a 9" pie pan with Pam and layer the following ingredients:
1. Tortilla
2. Black beans and corn
3. Tortilla
4. Guacamole and cheese
5. Tortilla
6. Grilled chicken and sauted onions
7. Tortilla
8. Salsa
Top entire casserole with grated cheese. Cover LOOSLEY with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 - 30 minutes until casserole is heated through. You can garnish with salsa, cilantro, guacamole, and sour cream. You can also eliminate anything you don't like and add other things that you do like.
Sidenote: My favorite tortillas are the ones you buy at Costco in the refrigerator section. They are uncooked and you just heat them on a flat teflon pan. They're fresh and they're not as thick. There's a lot of them, but you can freeze the ones you don't want to cook. (I love to make this after we have Mexican food, because there are usually lots of left overs to use.) Hope you like it!

6 comments:

Jimmy and Lindsey said...

I LOVE THIS NANCY RECIPE! I have had it on a few occasions when my mom has made it! One of my favorites!

Laurie Nichols said...

I'm so excited to try this recipe! It looks delicious!

chelsea said...

I LOVE TORTILLA PIE! This is definitely one of my favorites!

chelsea said...

by the way, great title for the post! ;) I hear Nick played a part in it...

Melinda said...

Thanks Nancy. I am always looking for new recipes. I just made your mint brownies. Although I did cheat and bought the mini muffins at the supermarket and then used your yummy frosting and glaze!

Linda Mott said...

I'm back!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll try it this week. I've been so distracted I have taken time to look at all the blogs. Yours was great. You and Steele are as darling today as 31 years ago!!!